2010年12月4日星期六

Mobile Learning

That was such a memorable night for us to have a video conference with Dr. Paul Kim. Of course, thanks to Olgun timely finding the voice button, I could hear Dr. Paul Kim so clearly, and grasped the nuggets of his wisdom; at least, I hope so.
Here is the 5 points I think I really
1. How should we teach students? We should remember telling is not teaching, students should be the center of learning.
Then it reminds me of 2 teachers of mine.
In my high school, I had an English teacher who is really hard working teacher. She picked up every important phrases for us when she reading newspaper or watching TV. She always read it for us and we need to take notes. She also chose a lot of examination papers for us to finish, after that we would go through the paper carefully to learn from our mistakes. Honestly, I did learn a lot during this process. But the important thing is I am not happy during this process, I always feel exhausted and I need to spend a lot of time to memorize all the English words.
The second teacher is from my junior middle school, she is a math teacher. She always held some “contests” during our class. How did she do that? Every time when she finished teaching us new knowledge, she would put some questions on the blackboard, we voluntary choose the question we feel most comfortable to answer. Most of the questions were answered by the students who sit in the back of our class(They performed inactively in other classes) To be honest, I did perform inactively in that class, because I really felt shy to do the math puzzle in front of the whole class. However, I was really enjoying the class. I learned so much from my peers, both for their unique way to solve some problems and their mistakes when they perform in front of the whole class. In that class, I also leaned so much.
Here I am not criticizing the approach my high school English adopted; it is also an effective way for students to learn. However, like Dr. Kim told us “Giving everything in a confined time is no good students”; why not let students try hands on the new knowledge.
2. By using some different approaches, students might be more interested in learning. Like when we are afraid of children might get bored about those mobile devices for them, Dr. Kim told us they seems enjoy it so much.
3. The reality is always not we would ever imagine. Sometimes we worried about whether this approach can motivate students. But in the real world, the students even won’t have a chance to go to school. Like Dr. Kim shared with us, the vagrants don’t want their children to have some advanced education. So after that, Dr. Kim and his teach came with an idea, pay for the family $1 a day if they send their children to school.
4. We should always think about the culture difference. Some common things may cause troubles to students. I remembered once we had class the teacher use a scenario about 800 phone services, but it is so hard for me to catch it. When I got the meaning, we already moved on. So Dr. Kim their team noticed it and put a lot of local common things in their mobile device.
5. They also pay attention to the blind children, they developed several audio mobile device.
In the ending of this blog, I think I will quote what Dr. Paul Kim shared with us:
“The future is here; it’s just not widely distributed, yet
- William Gibson
The future is not widely distributed. Therefore, it is not here, yet
- Paul Kim”
I think since we all have some picture about our learning future, it will be here soon.

1 条评论:

  1. I'm deeply moved by Dr. Kim's sympathy for those kids in the developing world and those with physical difficulites. Most of the time, when we talk about learner's characteristics, we're thinking of healthy people with appropriate accesses to education. The individual difference exists in their psychological domain. But what makes every particular learner can be far more than learning styles, personality, ages, genders, etc. Economy and physical condition can also make a difference. It's worth our attention!

    回复删除